Clean eating tips for dining out
On the go, on vacation, or otherwise am forced into eating out? People reference this as a super clean-eating killer. Here are my tips to minimize the damage that dining out can do to your fitness goals:
- Pick food that’s been steamed or grilled versus fried or sauteed.
- Research your restaurant! Some places offer more healthy options than others.
- Don’t be afraid to create your own entree! And tip well. 🙂
- Watch those salads! Dressings which are creamy and for those of you who are not vegan, cheese and other forms of animal protein can sneak on a lot of unnecessary fat and calories in the form of marinades and other hidden additives. Some salads at fast food places have as many calories and fat as a Double Whopper and with not much in the way of nutritional value to offset that. Also, ask to have the dressing on the side.
- My advice for soups is similar to salads: avoid bisques, anything creamy. Also be cautious on added sodium.
- Double up on vegetables! They’ll fill you up faster.
- When in doubt, see if the menu has something that’s indicated as “lighter fare”.
- Avoid the bread basket!
- Eat slowly! Frequently restaurants will give you too much food. If you have some leftover, it’ll be yet another delicious meal. 🙂
- One trick I use not to eat too much is to eat food that’s not too bland. If there’s a lot of flavor I feel like I’ve eaten more and I don’t eat it as quickly. If you don’t have much of a spice tolerance, this trick won’t be good for you however.
- Drink plenty of water, and avoid soda, juices, and alcohol. Tea and coffee (without milk and sugar) is fine.
Feel free to share your own tips in the comments!