Tips on veganism for beginners
I get asked for tips on veganism a LOT, usually from beginners and/or people interested in eating healthy, vegan meals. As a result, I think compiling them into a single blog post would be useful, or so I hope!
- Do NOT treat eating a plant-based diet as an elimination diet, AKA what you used to eat minus the animal products. It will NOT work. You will have to completely revamp your paradigm of what constitutes as as meal. Anything else will run you into problems.
- Read, research, and experiment. Pick up cooking books, read blogs by other vegans, find out what they eat.
- Learn how to read labels. Dairy is sneaky, and you’ll find that when it comes to prepackaged foods they’ll like to slip in weird crap.
- Eat clean. Don’t be a “carb-an” and subsist mostly on bread, pasta, and rice. Fresh fruits, veggies, whole grains, beans and legumes, non-GMO soy products, should all be awesome. If you have food intolerances to soy and/or gluten, give food like quinoa, lentils, and beans a shot.
- Don’t be afraid to screw up. Inevitably you’ll accidentally buy something that has honey in it, lactose, whey, whatever. Learn from it and move on.
- If you have a favorite food or recipe that isn’t vegan, find a fun way to “veganize” it! And don’t be afraid to give faux meats and faux dairy products a try. My personal favorites are from Gardein and Daiya respectively.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions! It’s part of the learning process.
Hope this helps!