Monthly Archives: June 2013
Until vanilla Shakeology is available in a vegan option, we vegans must get our vanilla fix elsewhere.
I may have the solution.
I obtained PlantFusion’s cookies and cream variety of their protein blend from Vegan Proteins some time ago when it was on sale and never got to try it. I’m usually a chocolate gal by nature but was curious.
I made some tonight using about 10-12 oz of unsweetened vanilla flavored almond milk and half a banana.
It did not disappoint. Very smooth, very tasty. It’s hard to find smooth vegan protein powders. Shakeology and Vega One both do an excellent job, and Sunwarrior’s not too bad either.
My top ten guidelines for living a happy and healthy life:
- Eat enough in the way of nutrition to fuel your body. Do NOT eat less than 1200 calories a day, even on a rest day! If you work out, eat more.
- Have your meals composed of vegetables, fruits, healthy carbs like brown rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes, and whole grains, plus healthy fats in moderation such as nuts, seeds, and avocado. Find your ideal macro ratio of carbs to protein to fats and stick with it. Do NOT do low carb diets as a long-term plan, especially if you are very active! Your body requires carbs for fuel.
- Avoid processed and fried foods and refined and artificial sugar.
- Drink plenty of water. Divide your weight in half and that’s how many ounces of water you should be drinking. A 140 lb person should be drinking 70 ounces of water daily.
- Don’t overtrain with lengthy, repetitive workouts. a) your body is smart and it’ll adapt, causing the workout to become ineffective and b) runs the risk of injury and stress to the body. Length does not make strength.
- Form over quantity for reps and workouts in general for similar reasons as #4.
- Be consistent in your approach to fitness, and don’t give up!
- Log everything, including food and workouts. Figure out what works and what doesn’t. Find trends both positive and negative. Pay attention to your body and your moods.
- Get enough sleep! Your body needs the downtime, especially with the stress your workouts will put on your body.
- Take rest days to avoid overtraining. See #9.
No pill, trendy diet, or special steps are needed; it’s really this simple. Do these things, and no matter what your fitness goals are I can guarantee that you will reach them in the long run!
How many of us have faced the following dilemma:
“I’m starving, but I’m torn between which is greater: my desire to eat, or my desire not to make the energy to prepare/decide on food.”
Honestly, I’ve had days where I’ve been so frustrated I either didn’t eat or ate something questionable due to lack of time, energy, or resources. I live a busy life and feel your pain. It’s easier to run out and buy something premade, order in, or eat out, especially when you’re tired and you can barely even work up the energy to workout (or spent it all during your workout).
I’m here to provide tips on what’s helped me. Hopefully it’ll help you:
- Prep food on the weekends (or whenever you have the most time) in advance for the week.
- Chop up veggies and put them into individual containers
- Make something that has more than one serving, and put each serving into containers
- Make a food item you can add to your dishes in bulk (quinoa, brown rice, baked tofu/seitan/etc), and store it
- Plan ahead. Make things you can mix and match for your meals to provide variety
- Local supermarket has a salad bar, and you only need a certain amount of fixings? Go there and for seriously cheap costs get lots of lightweight, prechopped veggies to stir frys, sandwiches and wraps, etc. I do this with quinoa sometimes to save time on prep and cooking.
- Protein shakes! Protein shakes can make for a quick meal or snack on the go, and you can add fruit and other ingredients to them. While some shakes are filled with artificial and GMO ingredients, others are naturally sourced and have the best bang for your buck. I highly recommend either Vega One or Shakeology. Shakeology comes in five flavors, two of which are completely plant based in ingredients while the others are vegetarian with whey protein. If you wish to try a sample or two of Shakeology before you buy a month’s worth, contact me! It also has a money back guarantee so if you try it for a month and decide it’s not for you, you can get a full refund. To see what options are available in Shakeology and/or to read more about it, go here: http://www.teambeachbody.com/shop/-/shopping/MDSUSH311G?referringRepId=38957
Do you struggle with healthy eating under time constraints too? What have you found that’s helped? If not, feel free to rant in the comments below and get more suggestions!
T25 challenge packs are now available and on sale until the end of July!
What they include:
- Focus T25, a 25 minute 5 day a week workout program complete with DVDs, meal guide, workout calendars, and resistance band! Also includes a bonus workout.
- 30 supply of Shakeology to get a quick start on eating right using a very tasty, nutritionally dense meal supplement! Contains protein, antioxidants, digestive enzymes, and consists of nothing but all natural superfoods! Available in either vegetarian or vegan flavors.
Note: I have MANY recipes, and the one I use is like having dessert for breakfast. OM NOM NOM
- FREE 30 day trial of club membership to Team Beachbody, where you can access a meal planner, track your workouts, and get all the support you need on your new workout program!
- FREE shipping!
- 30 day money back guarantee!
- FREE fitness coaching!
Details and how to purchase are here: http://www.teambeachbody.com/shop/-/shopping/BCPT25205?referringRepId=38957
Anyone who gets this challenge pack will automatically get a spot in my challenge group starting August 1st! Join me in getting into the best shape of your life.
If you’re looking for a really efficient and effective workout program but don’t have a lot of time to exercise, I have two to recommend:
Ten Minute Trainer: http://www.teambeachbody.com/
This one is developed by the same guy who created P90X, and people have gotten very similar results to P90X but in a 10 minute workout each day!
Focus T25: http://teambeachbody.com/shop/-/
Seen the informercials for Insanity? This program was developed by the same trainer. For only 25 minutes a day and 5 days a week, you’ll be able to completely transform your body. This program was JUST released so there’s a free shipping promotion going on for a limited time! Definitely check it out.
Each comes with workout schedules, meal plans, and access online to log and track your workouts and progress. Both have 60 day money back guarantees so if you give them a shot and decide they suck, no worries!