Monthly Archives: July 2012
The awesome deal on challenge packs will only be around for two more weeks!
If you’re looking to try a new fitness program and also want to improve your diet and nutrition, for only $14.95 you can try out both for a free thirty day trial! You’ll also get free fitness coaching from me, and if you choose the P90X pack you’ll be getting fitness help and tips from a certified P90X trainer!
The deal ends on July 31st, so if you’re thinking about it now’s the time to jump on board!
To learn more, go here.
I’m a software engineer. These blog posts go out because I write them up in advance and schedule them in advance, because like many people, my time is at a premium and I don’t have full control over it.
So how does one eat healthy in an incredibly crazy and busy world?
Here are some of my tips:
- 1) Cook/prep things you plan to eat often, in bulk, in advance. Things like quinoa and brown rice can be cooked on weekends and keep well in the fridge, and can be added to meals throughout the week.
- 2) Make extra of things that freeze well, and take them out for convenience lunches. You can do this with soups and stews.
- 3) Add leafy greens whenever possible. I bring in foods that warm up well and add a container of baby spinach to them, and mix it up well.
- 4) Make juices and smoothies in the morning and take them with you in a thermos or tupperware container.
- 5) Bring fruit and cut up veggies to work.
- 6) Bring a travel blender or juicer to work!
Some fast meals I like to make when I’m either too busy, too lazy, or just am feeling uncreative but still want my healthy, quick eats:
- 1) Quinoa, beans, salsa. Really, that’s it.
- 2) Sauteed veggies in coconut oil with brown rice
- 3) Sauteed or steamed kale
- 4) Kale or baby spinach with half an avocado and lemon juice for a tasty salad
When in doubt…just bring fruits and veggies…the original fast food. 🙂
I’ve been creating and working with a hybrid schedule of P90X2 and Insanity with some doses of Brazil Butt Lift and running thrown in for good measure. I’m in training for a 5K at the end of the month then have a 10K in September, so every bit helps!
Here’s a sample of what I’m doing for the next few weeks:
Monday: X2 Balance & Power
Tuesday: Either Plyometric Cardio Circuit or Pure Cardio from Insanity (alternating weeks)
Wednesday: Brazil Butt Lift’s High and Tight, and Insanity’s Cardio Abs
Thursday: X2 Recovery & Mobility
Friday: X2 Plyocide
Saturday: X2 Yoga
Sunday: Insanity’s Cardio Recovery and Max Recovery
Plus…I’ll be tacking on running when I can. 🙂
I was chatting with my friend the other day who mentioned that she was outside doing some yardwork when she got dizzy, started having headaches, etc. So I asked how much water she had consumed before engaging in physical labor outdoors in ninety degree heat. Not shockingly, the answer was “None” and “iced tea”.
Bad move. Caffeine is a diuretic, and as much as I love tea (points to domain name), it’s not a replacement for water. Many parts of the United States right now are undergoing a heat wave, some places reaching record highs.
So, repeat after me:
- I will drink my water.
- Coffee is not water.
- Tea is not water.
- Starbucks is not water.
- Soda is not water.
- Water is water.
- I will drink my water.
If you’re waking up in this heat groggy, disoriented, unable to think or focus, tired, maybe a headache…that’s not due to lack of sleep, that’s due to LACK OF HYRDRATION. Drink some water instead of reaching for the crack juice, and I can guarantee you that you will wake up faster and find that you’ll be handling mornings much better than you used to!
Also, don’t gulp large amounts at once! Just pace yourself throughout the day and make sure you’re getting at least as many ounces as half of your body weight. If you’re working out, sweating a lot, dealing with heat–increase that. That’s a good rule of thumb to live by.
A lot of people walk around chronically under low hydration and don’t even know it. This can impact your energy levels, health, digestion…you name it. People can even confuse hunger with thirst! Want to know if you’re really hungry? Drink some water, wait twenty minutes.
This message was brought to you by H, 2, and O….