Category Archives: Health
I was invited to participate in Raise.com’s “Summer Fit” campaign. Summer is honestly my favorite season. I love the sun, the heat, and the opportunity to visit my favorite beaches.
I spend a good chunk of time outdoors in the summer. I love going out for morning runs, long walks into Cambridge and downtown Boston, and spending time walking along the beach.
One of the places I like to visit in the summer is Hampton Beach. The trick is to get there early enough to be able to get a parking spot. Once that’s secured, I spend much of the day walking along the beach and on the boardwalk:
I try to soak up as much vitamin D as possible–given plenty of spray on SPF 100, of course–before the winter months hit New England. Best affiliate network.
Here are my list of summer must-dos and haves:
- Sunblock! I am a fair skinned, freckled redhead. I forget sunblock and I burn VERY badly, very quickly.
- Water! You should be drinking at least half of your body weight in ounces of water daily, and in hot weather and exercise this needs to be upped.
- Electrolytes! Following the above, getting your electrolytes in is a good idea. You can buy special water for that or additives to put in your water.
- Getting outside! I go for walks during my lunch breaks at work; it gets me out of my chair and active besides.
- Morning runs! Better than caffeine and there’s just something about being outside in summer mornings which is so refreshing.
- Long walks! I hit the farmer’s markets, stores, window browse, beaches, you name it.
- Good footwear! Wearing the appropriate footwear for either walking or running is crucial.
- Fresh fruit and veggies! Take advantage of the the summer season and hit up your local farmer’s market for good, fresh produce which is good for you.
- Playlists! I take my iPod Touch wherever I go and have some great playlists to keep my energy level up.
Raise.com is a marketplace to buy and sell gift cards for all of your fitness needs. They offer branded gift cards on their site to help you with your workout purchases–whether it be for gear, clothing, footwear, or even technical gadgets. Go check them out!
From Monday to Friday, we have a routine due to our busy work lives and often it’s easiest to stay on track with our nutrition and exercise during that time. On weekends, it’s entirely too easy to slip up, binge on unhealthy foods at parties and gatherings, and throw out the rule book entirely.
You don’t have to deprive yourself, but you don’t have to kill your fitness goals entirely every weekend, either. Stay on track by remembering to drink plenty of water, eat lots of veggies, fruit, and whole grains, and when presented with options that are less than healthy either passing them up for healthy food instead, swapping them out with a healthier version, or picking one thing to eat in moderation and leave the rest.
I’m a firm believer in the 80-20 rule: eat healthy 80% of the time and 20% of the time allow for reasonable indulgences. Same holds true for weekend. Don’t do 80% unhealthy or worse yet, 100%! Remember your “whys” and your motivation for living a healthier life.
And then, have an ice cream sundae on occasion. 🙂
It’s true! Studies have shown that if you have someone around who can remind you of your “whys” and help you keep motivated, you’re far more likely to stay on track for your fitness goals. This can involve being in a group of people dedicated to similar fitness goals, someone who works out with you in the gym, a fitness coach or a trainer, you name it!
Don’t have anyone in your life at present who is supportive of you or could potentially be supportive? Find a good online group of people like yourself! Search in social media platforms like Facebook, join a meetup.com group, you name it! I also recommend Noom (smartphone app), MyFitnessPal, and Fitocracy. There are lots of Facebook groups for all sorts of different workouts, single moms trying to get fit, 9-5 people looking to make a difference, etc.
Trapped at work? Start a walking lunch group! If there’s a gym nearby, find out if anyone goes to it and attend it with them.
You don’t have to go at your fitness goals alone, let alone feel alone. There are options! Check out this article on further suggestions.
And of course…I’m also here for you too as a potential fitness coach. Drop me a line and find out if we’d be a good fit for each other or not!
The program description for Brazil Butt Lift goes as follows:
Leandro Carvalho, trainer to world-famous supermodels, combines Brazilian dance, cardio, and his own signature lower-body sculpting moves to lift, firm, and shape your behind for a rear view you’ve always dreamed about.
Blah, blah, blah. Basically all you need to know about this program is the following:
- It got me into shape for the Insanity workout. That workout is NO joke. It lives up to its name. I stared at the box in awe for months before I finally did the fit test. I did the full 60 days and could NOT have done it without doing at least a full round of BBL.
- BBL is FUN. It’s a combination of dance, strength training, stretching, cardio, and just plain awesome.
- Leandro Carvalho is wonderful. I’ve had the opportunity to workout with him live at a few different coach summits, and he is basically a super fun guy with a ton of energy who genuinely loves what he does, and his enthusiasm is infectious. He has a few moments which cracked me up while doing the workout–thankfully while I was already on the floor. 🙂
- It’s as intense and impactful of a workout as you want to make it.
- It’s one of my favorite Beachbody workouts.
- See the preview video!
- It’s on sale. 😀
Brazil Butt Lift base: http://www.teambeachbody.com/shop/-/shopping/BrazilButtLift?referringRepId=38957
Brazil Butt Lift deluxe: http://www.teambeachbody.com/shop/-/shopping/BBLDeluxe?referringRepId=38957
Brazil Butt Lift supreme: http://www.teambeachbody.com/shop/-/shopping/BBLSupreme?referringRepId=38957
Brazil Butt Lift challenge pack: http://www.teambeachbody.com/shop/-/shopping/BCPBBL160?referringRepId=38957
There are THREE challenge pack specials for the month of July, and they end TODAY! All of them come with a month’s supply of Shakeology in your choice of flavor, and bag vs packets, and a super saver discount on the bundled package.
I have fitness challenges going for both PiYo and 3 Day Refresh, so a purchase of either will get you into my challenge group! Come join others like you on the road to Team Happy and Healthy!
Superstar trainer Chalene Johnson will help you get an ultra-lean and intensely defined physique—without bulking up or straining your joints. Using your own body weight, you’ll carve every muscle. It’s low impact, yet high intensity. No weights. No jumps. Just hardcore results.
Buy PiYo on its own, and get free s/h! Limited time only:
More information about PiYo here!
Lose weight and kick-start healthier eating habits in just 3 days with the 3-Day Refresh. This program is designed to fast track your weight loss by detoxifying and cleansing your system while helping you break bad eating habits. In just 3 days you’ll feel lighter and healthier, without starving.
More information about 3 Day Refresh here!