Category Archives: Walking
I was invited to participate in Raise.com’s “Summer Fit” campaign. Summer is honestly my favorite season. I love the sun, the heat, and the opportunity to visit my favorite beaches.
I spend a good chunk of time outdoors in the summer. I love going out for morning runs, long walks into Cambridge and downtown Boston, and spending time walking along the beach.
One of the places I like to visit in the summer is Hampton Beach. The trick is to get there early enough to be able to get a parking spot. Once that’s secured, I spend much of the day walking along the beach and on the boardwalk:
I try to soak up as much vitamin D as possible–given plenty of spray on SPF 100, of course–before the winter months hit New England. Best affiliate network.
Here are my list of summer must-dos and haves:
- Sunblock! I am a fair skinned, freckled redhead. I forget sunblock and I burn VERY badly, very quickly.
- Water! You should be drinking at least half of your body weight in ounces of water daily, and in hot weather and exercise this needs to be upped.
- Electrolytes! Following the above, getting your electrolytes in is a good idea. You can buy special water for that or additives to put in your water.
- Getting outside! I go for walks during my lunch breaks at work; it gets me out of my chair and active besides.
- Morning runs! Better than caffeine and there’s just something about being outside in summer mornings which is so refreshing.
- Long walks! I hit the farmer’s markets, stores, window browse, beaches, you name it.
- Good footwear! Wearing the appropriate footwear for either walking or running is crucial.
- Fresh fruit and veggies! Take advantage of the the summer season and hit up your local farmer’s market for good, fresh produce which is good for you.
- Playlists! I take my iPod Touch wherever I go and have some great playlists to keep my energy level up.
Raise.com is a marketplace to buy and sell gift cards for all of your fitness needs. They offer branded gift cards on their site to help you with your workout purchases–whether it be for gear, clothing, footwear, or even technical gadgets. Go check them out!
Okay, here goes:
Monday 5/7: 10.5 miles
Tuesday: Semi-rest day, four hours of cleaning instead
Wednesday: genuine rest day!
Thursday: Ran/walked 1.5 miles, ran 1.5 miles
Fri-Sat lots of house chores
Sun: 20 mile walk
Mon: rest day
Tues: 1.5 mile run, another 1.5 mile run
Tonight and tomorrow are more walking, and Friday is…Event Eve!! I’ll be checking into my hotel for the Avon Walk, and will be aiming to walk the full marathon on Sat and half on Sun.
As for the fundraising total…*drumroll*
Thanks to everyone for their support, I could’ve have done this without you!
If you’d like to contribute, go here to donate
Tuesday 5/1: 13.1 miles
Wednesday: 8.5 miles
Thursday: Ran a mile, walked a mile
Friday: 12 mile walk
Saturday: 12 mile walk
Sunday: 17 mile walk
VERY close to the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer, and still in training! It’s May 19-20th here in Boston.
And the grand total for the fundraising efforts so far is…$1,622! I’ve pledged to raise a minimum of $1,800 towards the fight against breast cancer. The money goes not only towards research but to fund mammograms and help low income cancer patients.
It’s a wonderful cause, and well worth training for. Please consider donating and/or passing this blog post along: http://www.avonwalk.org/goto/TeaAddictedGeek
I’m a bit behind in my walking total updates, but here you go!
Sat 4/21: rest day (birthday weekend with family)
Sun 4/22: rest day (actual birthday! I turned 21 for the 13th time. 😉 )
Mon 4/23: 11 miles
Tues 4/24: 10.5 miles
Wed 4/25: 11 miles
Thurs: 4/26: 11 miles
Fri: no walking, but four hours on dance floor 🙂
Sat: Fri’s dancing spilled over into this day…
Sun: 12 miles
Mon: 13.1 miles (yes, a half marathon!!)
I’m VERY close to my fundraising goal! As of this post, I’ve raised $1,122 out of my fundraising pledge of $1,800 for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer! I’ll be walking a total of 39.3 miles over the course of two days, and it starts May 19th.
Funds go to support low income cancer patients, fund mammograms, breast cancer research.
If you’d like to support me, please either donate and/or send this blog post to others. The donation URL is here: http://www.avonwalk.org/goto/TeaAddictedGeek.
Here we go again, the countdown before the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer in May begins!
Saturday: 16 miles
Sunday: 5.5 miles
Monday: 11 miles
Tuesday: 10.5 miles
Wednesday: 11 miles
Thursday: 11 miles
Friday: rest day (prepping to visit my parents for my birthday)
I’m still looking to raise money for my fundraising pledge, and I’m almost 50% away from my min pledge goal! Support a tea-addicted geek?