Category Archives: Fitness
Are you a woman who is interested in bodybuilding, fitness, or weight lifting in general? Vegan, vegetarian, or veg-curious?
I’ve started up a closed group on Facebook for us to collaborate, cheer each other on, and share the plant-strong love!
Lift those veggies!
You can join us here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VeganWomenBodybuildingAndFitness/
The ideal for ANY fitness and health goal is to eat as little processed food as possible, or aim for minimally processed. I’ve had a larger challenge than usual in this in recent times: I am currently (but temporarily) working a seven day week. My hours on the weekends are LONG. I have had to fit my workouts where and when I can, but of course I don’t have much time (or any time) for cooking.
So what’s a health nut to do?
Time is the biggest lament, and I’m glad that I’ve had the chance to “test run” this scenario, as I often get a LOT of clients who have careers, kids, often multiple jobs, and very little time to do much of anything. Convenience foods, take out, ordering in…and bad habits and food choices can happen.
Here are my tips for how to cope with making smart choices:
- For frozen meals, look for entries that have a reasonable amount of sodium. I would aim for 600 mg or less. I only pay attention to sodium, total fat, and total calories. I pretty much ignore the rest. The best options I’ve found are from Amy’s in both low sodium and Light & Lean.
- For pre-prepared foods, I highly recommend Ezekiel 4:9 bread, Engine 2 brand foods (sold exclusively at Whole Foods), and bagged salads/lettuce mixes. Engine 2 has no added oils or any sort of crap; their hummus and veggie burgers are my staple.
- Bento boxes! Toss in the bagged salad mixes, cook your veggie burgers and take them to work with some hummus, etc.
- Meal bars are fab, but you HAVE to watch the sugar content on those. They can be brutal. My favs are Vega One, Luna, and Cliff Builder bars. NuGo is also organic and very good.
- Smoothies are king. They have been my breakfast food for YEARS because they are fast, healthy, and nutritionally dense. I highly recommend giving Shakeology a try as it is nutritionally dense, all natural, no added sugars beyond what comes from the fruit, and is the best bang for your nutritional buck. It beats the crap out of Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, or McD’s ANY day and cost about as much if not less. Toss in your favorite form of milk and/or fruit and you’re good to go. While my blender is going, I toss in what I need for my lunch into my bento boxes, which go into my lunch bag.
If you want to give some Shakeology samples a try, contact me! I sell them for $5 a piece plus s/h.
I once did a blog post on plateaus and how to break them. Today I’m going to expand upon that and give more tips:
- Move more! Find ways to squeeze in an extra 5-15 minutes throughout your day versus one long, crazy workout. You’ll be less likely to overtrain and get injuries this way, too. More tips on increasing physical activity here.
- Log EVERYTHING. Use sites like MyFitnessPal.com and cronometer.com to track food intake. Make sure you’re getting enough nutrition.
- Consider getting a device such as a Bodymedia or FitBit to track calorie burn. You may be under or overestimating calorie burn, which can affect your performance and how valuable your diet is.
- Change up your routine! Avoid steady state cardio and try new ways of burning calories.
- Pump that iron! Try heavier weights or mix it up.
If your problem is motivation, consider getting an exercise buddy, join a fitness club, or consider one of them many online communities. I’m also available to you as a coach to help you with your fitness goals.
Been wanting to try P90X and Shakeology? Already a fan of P90X and wanted to give P90X2 a shot?
Both P90X and P90X2 challenge packs, which include the workout program DVDs, meal plan, schedules, necessary fitness tools, 30 day supply of Shakeology, free 30 day club membership, and free shipping…now on sale for the month of October!
P90X challenge pack: http://www.teambeachbody.com/shop/-/shopping/BCPP90X205?referringRepId=38957
P90X2 challenge pack: http://www.teambeachbody.com/shop/-/shopping/BCPX2205?referringRepId=38957
If you get one of these packs from me, you also get me as a free coach! Not only that, but I’m a P90X Certified instructor!
For more info, watch the video on these challenge packs:
If you have any questions, contact me!
Focus T25 is only on sale for a few more days! If you want to get it on it and join my challenge group for FREE in addition, you have all of four days left!
Just 25 minutes a day for 5 days a week. An hour’s worth of results in a short amount of time – no more excuses!
For more information, click here.