Category Archives: Uncategorized
Entirely too often people underestimate the impact small changes can have over time. They want fast and immediate, or think that only by doing huge, drastic measures can they achieve huge, drastic changes.
People first starting a fitness journey tend to look at their end goal and get overwhelmed. It seems like a lot to accomplish! This is where people can screw up; often times people will overdo it in their impatience and wind up either burning out, overtraining, getting an injury, or getting sick. Or they think that they’re not accomplishing anything and quit way too soon. That’s NOT the appropriate way to join Team Happy and Healthy, folks. I’ve blogged about this in the past, but here are more suggestions on starting out:
- Make substitutions. Do you normally eat fast food or pizza for lunch? Swap out fries for a garden salad, soda for seltzer or plain water.
- Start increasing your physical activity. Park further away from your job, consider walking, biking, or taking public transportation, take the stairs as opposed to the elevator or escalator, etc.
- Do shorter workouts which are effective without running the risk of either overtraining you or leaving you feeling like you don’t have the time to do it! Try these workouts which are 30 minutes or less.
- Try a healthy, non-starvation based nutritional cleanse which will help you to jumpstart your goals in three days.
- Keep motivated! Read books, magazines, and blogs which inspire you and make you feel better about obtaining new, healthier habits. Watch movies, YouTube videos of motivational speakers. Listen to audio. Keep pictures around your desk, on your computer, or on your cell phone which make you smile and keep you focused on your goals.
- Stay positive. Tune out absolutely everything which causes you to doubt or feel bad about yourself. Mental health is every bit as important as physical health, and each contributes to the other. Torturing your mind and/or body will not bring you success.
- Be patient! “Rome was not built in a day, and neither was your body.” -Tony Horton You are not in this for a quick fix, a “diet”, or what-have-you. There are no magic pills to pop. You are in this to build good habits to carry you through the rest of your life, and by doing this you will improve your quality of living in ways you may not even realize yet.
- Celebrate small victories. In Team Happy and Healthy, there are no small victories. Can you do one more pushup on your knees than you could a week ago? Celebrate! Are you taking the time to get some extra walking in? Celebrate! Did you turn down that lunchtime cookie for a salad instead? Celebrate!
Need additional support? I can help! Free fitness coaching is just a click away.
I leave on Wednesday to Las Vegas for the Beachbody Coach Summit! It’s a ton of fun: live workouts with trainers like Shaun T, Tony Horton, Chalene Johnson, and Leandro Carvalho. The one I’m looking forward to the most is the live Les Mills Combat workout. 😀
One of the best parts about this event is hanging out with my great team of coaches! You guys rock!! We are going to have a blast, kick each workout’s ass, and come back with a ton of stories to tell about what an awesome group we’ve got.
I plan to blog every day of what’s going on, or at least try! I’ll be there until Sunday. So stay tuned.
Call it fun, call it good for the ego…or whatever:
Support a tea-addicted geek? I’d love to be a fitness model someday! 😀