It’s been published a lot lately that the longer you spend sitting down during your day, the more years are being taken off of your life. While this sounds utterly morbid and depressing, it’s not entirely out of your control.
A lot of us work 9-5 jobs sitting at desks, but we don’t all have to suffer from unnecessary weight gain and health issues as a result. Exercise and fitness is something a lot of people put off. In Stephen R Covey’s 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, he breaks up daily tasks into different quadrants: urgent and important, urgent and not important, not urgent but important, and neither urgent nor important.
Exercise falls into quadrant two, “not urgent but important”. If you spend more time dealing with tasks that fit this category, you can prevent them from turning into “urgent and important” later. This should be common sense, but often times people confuse what is not important but urgent with what is important but not urgent. I highly recommend this book; it’s one of the best ones out there for getting your life into gear not matter what the topic.
“I don’t have time to workout.”
“I don’t have time at work to get up and stretch.”
“I don’t have time to eat healthy.”
…yes, yes, you do.
Here are my suggestions to combat the 9-5 “desk death”:
- Get your clean eating habits in gear. Too many offices surround themselves with junk food, and often the trap becomes that food is social. You don’t have to not be social, just be mindful of what you’re putting into your body.
- Get up and walk around whenever you can. Grab water, grab tea. Will it mean more bathroom trips? Sure, but it beats not moving around much of the day and if you wear a Fitbit or Bodymedia device you WILL see the difference. When you walk, you burn 4-5 times more calories than sitting. When you stand, you burn twice as much as when sitting.
- Do office workouts. There are lots of exercises you can do at your desk.
- Go out for walks during your lunch break. Try to organize walks with other co-workers, if you can.
- Stretch. Many of us have bad backs due to being slumped over at a keyboard all the time. Exercising and stretching has helped mine, and I am often working at my stiff neck and shoulders to prevent injury.
- Park further away from the office and walk. Take public transportation whenever possible to maximize walking versus driving.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Get creative! Do squats in the bathroom stall. I do them, no joke!
And that’s the key–prevention. Too often people wait until there’s a visible sign of a problem in order to do something about their health. Fitting into clothing is one thing, but injuries and illnesses are another. Join up with Team Happy and Healthy and beat the 9-5 “desk death”!
Need additional help with your goals? Free fitness coaching is just a click away.
We all lead busy lives, most of us running around in the morning trying to get ready for work feeding pets, kids, selves, getting dressed, maybe squeezing in a workout, a shower…it all adds up. I’ve found that the best way to eat healthy on a regular basis AND save time is to have containers of food prepped that I can grab, mix and match, and have an instant meal. It also saves me time and money. Examples:
- Salads bagged or in plastic containers. I get Olivia’s Organic Spring Mix with Herbs and put a paper towel on the bottom and around the lettuce so it stays fresh longer. I grab it and add it to sandwiches, wraps, or make side salads.
- Bags of shredded carrots. Makes for extra flavor in wraps, sandwiches, and salads.
- Sliced cucumbers! Great snacks, additions to salads and wraps, just grab and go. Same with carrots and celery.
- Lean proteins cooked in advance and in tupperware containers or plastic baggies. I do this for veggie burgers, baked tofu, etc.
- Cook foods like brown rice and quinoa in bulk, then add to meals later.
- If you have a slow cooker, take advantage and make all sorts of soups, stews, etc.
- For quick snacks on the go, smoothies, meal replacement and protein drinks are great! Just be mindful that not all protein powders and meal supplements are created equal, and a lot of them have unhealthy junk and fillers. Of all of them, my favorites and by far the healthiest are Shakeology, Vega, and Plant Fusion. I use a shaker cup and some chocolate vegan Shakeology, and instantly I get my chocolate fix too.
- Consider buying containers that are pre-measured so you know how many servings of any one item is in any container. This is especially good for calorically dense foods such as quinoa, brown rice, potatoes, beans, lentils, etc. I purchased some on OpenSky recently.
- Buy special containers for soups and salads. This container is in my collection and I also recommend this one.
- Embrace leftovers! They make for great lunches later, dinners too.
Need additional help with your fitness goals? I’m just a click away.
Summer’s here, and it’s grilling time!
Here are some tips to eating healthy at cookouts:
- Swap out mayo for a combo of red wine vinegar and olive oil with pepper and/or mustard.
- Stick to lean sources of high protein! Veggie burgers are great for this.
- I swear by grilled pineapple or avocado. Try it.
- Avoid creamy dressings on salads, and fill up on raw or grilled veggies instead.
- Ditch the butter for other seasonings on your corn on the cob. I have one source that swears by lime juice, I’ll have to try it sometime.
- Fresh soups like gazpacho are perfect for summer outings!
- Fruit is good, especially low sugar fruit. Nosh on berries!
- Ditch the chips for chopped veggies and low fat dip instead. Also, kale chips or pickles!
- Be careful on summer drinks and alcohol! It can turn into high volumes of calories for little nutritional benefit very fast.
- If you indulge, do so in moderation.
- Have fun! And don’t forget your sunblock.
Want more nutritional tips and help with your fitness goals? Let me be your fitness coach!
These deals are BEASTLY!
Seriously, 50-70% off of ALL Body Beast packages and products! Do NOT count on these deals lasting, I have no idea when they’ll be taken down and I don’t expect this sale to go on long. If I get a firm date, I’ll update this post.
In the meantime, here’s a great blurb on the program:
MAN UP. HULK UP. IN JUST 90 DAYS.
Pack on up to 20 pounds of muscle in 90 days with Body Beast™. Created by renowned bodybuilder Sagi Kalev, it uses breakthrough sports science to get you big, while cutting fat to carve your physique like no other home training system—ever. Sagi pushes you to the edge to get you pumped out of your mind. With his help, you’ll learn how to train, eat, and live like a Beast.
Pack on up to 20 pounds of muscle in 90 days with Body Beast™. With this complete system designed to build a massive physique.
Exclusive offer! Get the bonus Lucky 7 DVD, a full-body workout to accelerate your results, when you order Body Beast on Team Beachbody®. A $19.95 value—yours FREE!
Also, there WILL be a fitness challenge group for this program! To qualify, do the following:
- Buy the program from me
- Add me on Facebook
Body Beast base package: http://www.teambeachbody.com/shop/-/shopping/BeastBase?referringRepId=38957
Body Beast deluxe package: http://www.teambeachbody.com/shop/-/shopping/BeastDeluxe?referringRepId=38957
Body Beast ultimate package: http://www.teambeachbody.com/shop/-/shopping/BeastUltimate?referringRepId=38957
Body Beast Challenge Pack (with supplements): http://www.teambeachbody.com/shop/-/shopping/BCPBE220?referringRepId=38957
Body Beast Challenge Pack (with Shakeology): http://www.teambeachbody.com/shop/-/shopping/BCPBE220?referringRepId=38957
There are THREE challenge pack specials for the month of July, and they end in a week! All of them come with a month’s supply of Shakeology in your choice of flavor, and bag vs packets.
I have fitness challenges going for both PiYo and 3 Day Refresh, so a purchase of either will get you into my challenge group! Come join others like you on the road to Team Happy and Healthy!
More information about PiYo here!
More information about 3 Day Refresh here!